Terry County Courthouse, Brownfield, Texas

IMG_906188/254

“The area that is now Terry County includes lands granted by Mexico to Stephen J. Wilson in 1826 and John Charles Beales in 1832, but the Texas Revolution prevented any settlement on grant lands of West Texas. The land had been a hunting ground for Comanches and other Indians who preyed on the great herds of buffalo in the area, but buffalo hunters depleted the herds during the early 1870s.”

“Terry County was demarked from Bexar County in 1876 and named for Col. Benjamin Franklin Terry, who commanded the Eighth Texas Cavalry (Terry’s Texas Rangers) in the Civil War. It was attached to Young County until 1881, when Throckmorton County took over its judicial affairs. In 1883 administration was vested in Howard County, and in 1889 it was transferred to Martin County.”

“The county began to be settled by whites in the 1890s, when the state offered ten-year leases on school lands for grazing cattle. Terry County was organized in 1904, with Brownfield as its seat of government.”

“Most of the earliest ranches in the county were established on lands leased from the state. The first ranches were the DOV, established by Ira J. Coulver in 1889, and the QIV, founded by J. R. Quinn the same year. The Nunn Ranch, founded in 1894, covered most of the northeastern part of the county; the county’s first well was drilled on this ranch near Meadow. The TFW, established by Englishman Q. Bone in 1894, included 100 sections in the northwest part of the county.”

Marion V. Brownfield drove his cattle to the plains in 1896, acquired railroad lands, and bought more acreage when the original grazing leases expired between 1901 and 1903. Only three ranchmen actually lived on the six ranches in Terry County in 1900; the other ranching operations were absentee-owned and run by itinerant cowboys. According to the census, only twenty-one people lived in the county in 1890, and only forty-eight lived there in 1900.”

“By 1910 Terry County had 235 farms and 23,000 acres of improved land, and the population had increased to 1,474. Corn was the most important crop. Over 7,800 acres were planted in corn in 1910, and 4,509 acres were devoted to forage, the second-most important crop at that time; only 131 acres were planted in cotton.”

“The county’s transportation network developed slowly between 1900 and 1920. Until a railroad reached Lubbock in 1909 to make it the county’s market center, all freight was brought in from Plainview, Colorado City, or Big Spring over a winding road in Sulphur Draw. It took seven or eight days to make a round trip to Big Spring for supplies.”

“In 1909 Brownfield made a rough auto road through his ranch to Lamesa, and another road was soon constructed to Lubbock. Transportation became easier when a railroad extended its tracks into the county in 1917. For a time Terry County was known as the Egypt of the West, or the Corn Basket of Texas, as 300 to 400 carloads of corn were shipped out annually.”

“In 1920 more than 10,600 acres were planted in corn, and in 1930 over 35,000 acres were devoted to the crop. Devastation by corn borers, however, helped to encourage farmers to shift to cotton. The first cotton gin had been built at Gomez in 1909. In 1920 almost 3,800 acres were planted in cotton, which by 1930 had become the county’s most important crop, with 101,487 acres devoted to its production.”

“Those who remained through droughts and the dreary years of the Great Depression were on hand to greet the discovery of oil in 1940 with jubilation. Terry County lies in the oil-rich north Permian Basin, and the discovery of oil quickly led to production.”

“By 1991 almost 363,143,000 barrels of crude had been extracted from Terry County lands since 1940. In 1991 Terry County was among the leading cotton counties in Texas, and the oil and gas industry remained crucial to the economy.”

William R. Hunt and John Leffler, “TERRY COUNTY,” Handbook of Texas Online

I was the guest of Terry County and Brownfield on July 28, 2013.

______________________________________________________________________________

Terry County Courthouse 1925

TerryCoCourthouseca1940Architect: Peters & Haynes

Number for the County: Second

Style: Classical Revival

(Photo Courtesy: THC)

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.03.29 PM

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.06.10 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.22.57 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.12.09 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.16.00 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.19.41 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.41.31 PMView from the north entrance, looking towards Main Street

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.41.37 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.41.43 PMIn honor of Terry‘s Texas Rangers

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.41.52 PM6th Street, Downtown Brownfield

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>